Online Mic Test: Troubleshooting guideline
If your mic isn’t working properly with the tool of your choice, here are a few things you can do to test your mic online and get going:
Unblocking the mic:
If you see a multimedia icon with a cross at the end of the browser’s address bar, click it.
A window will pop open saying “this page has been blocked from accessing your microphone.”
So, you will have to follow these steps in order to complete your online microphone test:
- Select “always allow StoryXpress to access your microphone”.
- Click on Done
- Reload your webpage
- Speak Something
- If you see these waves, it means that your mic is working perfectly.
And your online mic test is done !
If the multimedia icon with a cross persists, follow these steps for an online microphone check and set up the desired mic:
- Go to Chrome setting > search for Microphone > Click site settingss
- Press Microphone
- In the microphone dropdown, select the microphone you want to use.
- And your Laptop Microphone Test is done!
Give your browser permission to access the microphone:
In certain operating systems like the macOS, you will have to give the browser permission to access the mic.
- Go to System Preferences
- Select Security & Privacy from the given options. (you can even search for it)
- Look for both the Microphones.
- Click on Google Chrome to assure that it can use the mic.
Online Mic test if you are using an external microphone device:
In case you are using an external device, you can do the webcam check by seeing how it functions across other platforms.
If you are using an external microphone, you will have to figure out if or not it is working fine on other platforms. You can use one of the FaceTime & Photobooth (MacOS), Skype (Windows), or Zoom to ensure that your external device is working properly.
If it isn’t, check that the device is installed correctly. If there is nothing wrong with the installations, some measures that can lead to the issue are:
- Cable malfunctioning
- Connection to the microphone might be faulty
- The microphone could have been plugged in to the wrong port.
- Device Driver issues- Make sure that the driver is up to date.
Another important question is, how do you know that your driver is up to date?
If you are using an inbuilt microphone, check your device software update info by
- Clicking on the Apple icon present in the top left-hand corner of your computer
- Clicking on About This Mac > Software update
If you are using an external device, you will have to
Read the manufacturing manual of the device. You can also choose to speak with the customer support but before you pose your question, check their website thoroughly. There you might find a device driver or software update to download.
on Windows 10
If you are want test your mic on windows10, go to the Device Manager to update Driver Software:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select Device Manager located next to Device and Printers.
- Select Audio Inputs and Outputs
- Click on Microphone Array
- Then press Update driver
If you are using your company device, your system might be unable to access your microphone
Well, if you are working at a place that has enabled firewalls across corporate machines & devices, your system might not be able to permit your device to use the microphone or conduct any microphone test on third party websites.
To make sure it is the firewalls causing the problem, approach your company's IT team, and seek assistance.
Re-install the extension that is unable to access your microphone
There are chances that Chrome itself isn’t working properly. Sometimes starting with a clean browser can help a lot in making your mic work with any given tool. For this to happen follow these steps:
- Click on the 3 vertical dots in the top right of your browser
- Click More Tools > Extensions
- There you will find the “respective extension” along with the other extensions you have.
- Click on the Remove Toggle button next to the given extension.
- Press the Toggle Button again to bring the recorder to life.
- Close all your tabs and windows and start recording afresh.
StoryXpress is a Video Creation and Hosting platform built to make communication more effective with videos. You can pitch a presentation to a client, resolve customer issues, record videos for internal communication or on-boarding videos for your new recruits in no time. Our tool helps users record screens, edit videos, host videos and analyze them. It also comes with various editing tools to make your videos more interactive and actionable.
Mic test is quite important before shooting a webcams screen recording as it helps to check background noise disturbance to provide a seamless video experience.
Audio plays a vital role when shooting webcam screen recorded videos as it helps keep the user interested and helps in better retention
You can test your mic on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, you can also test your mic on MacOS.